When the bubonic plague struck Bombay in the 1890s, postcards were used, in part, by the business community to communicate that all was okay, and that patients were being well taken care of in facilities like this one with clean interiors and an
Walker Hospital was opened in 1902, with 20 beds for Europeans and was meant to be self-supporting. This exemplary hospital for the time was based on a gift by a former resident of Simla, Sir James Walker. Patients paid Rs. 5 per day for their care.