Walker Hospital was opened in 1902, with 20 beds for Europeans and was meant to be self-supporting. This exemplary hospital for the time was based on a gift by a former resident of Simla, Sir James Walker. Patients paid Rs. 5 per day for their care. Originally meant for Indians, it was soon overflowing with Indians. The hospital burned down in 1998 and a new hospital was being built here by the Indian Army.
Note the fine diagonal, stretching hopefully into the future.
Another view of Walker Hospital, Simla.