D. C. Mehra's many Lahore postcards are the most extensive color ones of the city, far larger in number than the Tuck's sets which also included one of the Lahore General Post Office. Right on the Mall, it was designed and built by Sir Ganga Ram,
Mirza Ali Khan (1901-1960) was a Waziri tribal leader who fought a number of campaigns against the British in the 1930s and 1940s, and later against Pakistan as well in support of an independent Pashtunistan.
Camp Ali Musjid is atop the hill on the left, a key base for the Second Afghan War in 1878-79 between the Raj and Afghanistan; this postcard shows the British encampments on the same border with Afghanistan forty years later in the Third Afghan War.
Government College (now a university) is one of the oldest colleges in Pakistan and currently has more than 6000 students and 300 faculty members. Many of Pakistan's elite and ruling classes studied or taught here, including the poets Dr.
[Original] A Caravan on Its Way to Peshawar from Afghanistan in the Caravan Serai Landikotal N.W.F.P. [end]
Postcards like this illustrate how enormous the trade through the Khyber Pass once was. The Peshawar District Gazetteer 1897-98 put the value
An uncommon shot of Peshawar, showing the density of habitation. In the far left is the Mahabat Khan mosque, built in the 1860s.
From today's perspective, an unusual subject given the lack of beauty, architectural significance or human type that grace most early postcards.
Women are often shown as dancers, rarely this elderly as beggars on postcards. This photograph was likely taken in a studio, with the woman sitting on a stone which might be covered with animal skins.