Construction of the Karachi Municipal Corporation offices began in 1895 with foundation stone laying.
A beautiful real photo postcard given the dark curtain between the trees. After 1947 it was renamed Karachi Zoological and Botanical Gardens; it had been called Gandhi Gardens in honor of a visit by Mahatma Gandhi in 1934.
"After the merciless grind of a rough day," wrote the Sindhi writer and nationalist Ibrahim Joyo (1915-2017) in his short story In the Name of Allah, "how soothing it is to feel the balmy breeze in Karachi's Burns Gardens, especially on a fresh
One owner of this card, not postmarked, wrote on the back: "Parliament Building, New Delhi cribbed from the Colosseum at Rome."
The photograph was probably taken soon after is was opened in January 1927 to serve the Imperial Legislative Council.
A rather grand postcard, with the depth-of-field of a large albumen photograph, of Karachi's oldest colonial structures, dating to 1843, named after General Charles Napier who conquered Sindh that year and became its first Governor.
Known locally as the "Kala Chapra" or "Black Shed," this enormous structure constructed in the late 1920s was considered one of the largest structures in the British Empire.
The Shri Varun Dev Mandir temple on Manora Island in Karachi is dedicated to Varuna, the Lord of the Seas and apparently the only such temple in Pakistan.
Jankidas, a Karachi photographer and major postcard publisher, worked largely for British troops in the cantonment area, where he had his studio and was known as "Johnny." Nonetheless, he also turns out to have been a photographer of the Independence