Government College in Lahore opened in 1877 based on a design by the British architect W. Pardon. Adjacent to Anarkali Bazaar and the walled city, it cost over 3 lakh rupees at the time, and the Neo-Gothic clock tower is 176 feet high.
D. C. Mehra & Sons
D. C. Mehra's many Lahore postcards are the most extensive color ones of the city, far larger in number than the Tuck's sets which also included one of the Lahore General Post Office. Right on the Mall, it was designed and built by Sir Ganga Ram,
Government College (now a university) is one of the oldest colleges in Pakistan and currently has more than 6000 students and 300 faculty members. Many of Pakistan's elite and ruling classes studied or taught here, including the poets Dr.
[Original] A Caravan on Its Way to Peshawar from Afghanistan in the Caravan Serai Landikotal N.W.F.P. [end]
Postcards like this illustrate how enormous the trade through the Khyber Pass once was. The Peshawar District Gazetteer 1897-98 put the value
From today's perspective, an unusual subject given the lack of beauty, architectural significance or human type that grace most early postcards.
A later "Greetings from" postcard printed by premiere British publisher Beagles on behalf of a Rawalpindi-based publisher who would have sold this to British troops in cantonments like Rawalpindi, in this case members of the Royal Garrison Artillery
A rich bazaar view by a little known publisher once based in Peshawar whose wide variety of postcards of Punjab and NWFP is possibly unrivaled in the region during the early 20th century. Moorli Dhur & Sons of Amballa, and H.A.
Built in the early 1630s by the Emperor Shah Jehan, the "Palace of Mirrors" or "Crystal Palace" in Lahore Fort is full of glass tiles that reflect light. A UNESCO World Heritage site, the roof was only recently properly restored.