[Original caption] Madras. Chepauk Palace.
[Original caption] Madras, Government House. Government House looks out upon the Coom river at the back, and its front gives upon Mount Road, the principal street in Madras.
A view of the shortest river (76 miles) to empty into the Bay of Bengal, and a long-critical artery for Chennai, at a time when it was much less polluted than today.
"In India, the toddy shop may well be called ‘The Poor Man’s Club’," wrote Mahatma Gandhi in Harijan (1928),"the well- to-do folks have Willingdon Clubs and Gymkhanas of diverse description, to fulfil their instinct of sociability and to give them
[Original caption] Madras, Seven Pagodas. These extraordinary buildings are to be seen at Mahabilipuram, 35 miles south of the city of Madras.
The Madras Port (now called Chennai Port) is more than 125 years old. The construction of this pier was a major step as previously, bringing people and goods to land via boats from large ships was treacherous.
Postmarked 19 Feb  and addressed
[Original caption] San Thome Cathedral. The town of S. Thome, now part of Madras City, was named after the Portugese pioneers, after St. Thomas the Apostle, who is said to have evangelized the country.
[Original caption] Madras, Senate House. This handsome building, designed by Mr. Chisholm, was begun in 1874 and completed in 1879, at a cost of nearly three hundred thousand rupees.
Once one of the jewels of Chennai, the People's Park was constructed between 1859-1861 and extended over 112 acres. Today it is apparently largely neglected with much of the land used for other purposes.