[Original caption] Built by Delhi Municipality at a Cost-of R 28000, after the Mutiny 1857 A.D. [end]
H.A. Mirza & Sons dominated the market for postcards of Delhi from about 1900 until the 1930s. A professional photographer since the 1890s, he kept shop near Chandni Chowk, one of the city's main bazaar areas. Most were printed in Germany, where printers added the rich sunset hues, blue sky and clouds that helped make the aesthetic delight of these cards something one could almost taste.