While this postcard is from the early 1900s, as late as 1938 Murray's Handbook for India, Burma and Ceylon still recommended Costorphan's Hotel, with Cecil (Faletti's), Grand and Elysium to its travelers to the hillstation.
The Memorial Church in Kanpur is also called "All Soul's Cathedral"
Kanpur Memorial Church was erected in 1875 in the memory of British soldiers and civilians who died during the 1857 War of Independence or what the British called the Mutiny.
One of an extensive set of series H.A. Mirza & Sons, Delhi's leading photographer and postcard publisher at the time, made of the Darbar.
In 1913 the General Post Office moved into its present building which was designed by John Begg, the Consulting Architect to the Government during the period. Mumbai's GPO features the city's famous Indo-Saracenic architectural style.
Army barracks crowned by the Himalayan mountains. Dalhousie is a hillstation in Chamba district, Himachal Pradesh founded in 1854 the by the original British colonists of India, the East India Company.
When Rudyard Kipling visited Mussoorie in the summer 1888, he wrote two verses by hand in a book of photographs in an album of photographs by Alex Hill (now in the Library of Congress in Washington D.C.), which can be found on the website of The
Jadu Kissen’s Archaeological Photographic Works of India, Cashmere Gate, Delhi, was originally archaeological photographer to the Government of Punjab, had an office in Simla (1912), and published many archaeologically-themed postcards.
Founded in 1866, this school was founded in 1866 and soon took over this former home of a Viceroy. It remains a premiere educational institution in India, and has grown to serving almost a thousand students from a few dozen in the early days.
A beautiful postcard from archaeological photographer Jadu Kissen, who had an office in Srinagar or may have worked for The Archaeological Survey of India in Kashmir at some point.