[Original caption] Clive Street, Calcutta.
Sepia postcards were printed in a brown colour instead of black inks, and went in and out of fashion from the early 1900s through the 1940s.
The garden in front of the Victoria Memorial is sometimes still called Curzon Gardens.
Lord Curzon was the Viceroy of India from 1899 to 1905. He constructed Victoria Memorial in memory of Queen Victoria, the British monarch who died in 1901 after
[Original caption] “Chowringhee, Calcutta. Chowringhee Road runs past the sumptuous edifice of the Bengal Club and the nest residential quarter of Calcutta to St. Paul’s Cathedral.
An Indian Bungalow or single story house.
The word bungalow derives from the Gujarati word baṅglo and means "Bengali", used to communicate "house in the Bengal style". Such houses were traditionally small, thatched and had a wide veranda.
One of the earliest postcards of India, Calcutta, published by W. Rossler, a German or Austrian photographer in the city in 1897. Lithograph, Court sized, Printed in Austria. Undivided back.
A fourth card in Rossler’s 1897 lithographic series of Calcutta features a fakir, the male counterpoint to the nautch dancer. Above the fakir is his spiritual guide along lifelong wanderings, Lord Shiva.
Although the origin of the word juggler as "one skilled in keeping several objects in motion in the air at the same time by alternately tossing and catching them" goes back to the 14th century and seems to stem from the Middle English "jogelour