Probably printed by Raphael Tuck & Co. in London on behalf of Hartmann, one of the earliest Tuck-printed set of 6 postcards of India, likely all made by the same unknown Aquarelle painter.
The garden in front of the Victoria Memorial is sometimes still called Curzon Gardens.
Lord Curzon was the Viceroy of India from 1899 to 1905. He constructed Victoria Memorial in memory of Queen Victoria, the British monarch who died in 1901 after
Fred Bremner was one of the first postcard publishers of Kashmir, offering numerous cards of the Princely State based on photographs he tool there around 1900.
Postcards celebrated infrastructure that made a real difference to residents, in this case a water pipeline critical to the growth and population of the Punjabi hillstation of Murree in the early 20th century.
The pipeline track is also called the
[Original caption] Road near Colombo. This is the very fringe of Pettah or native quarter of Colombo. Coconut palms shade it from the hard blue sky and "the state o the sun"; the noise of brass-workers goes on incessantly under the bright red roofs.
Historical records in Chennia mention Nungambakkam as one of the three villages (in addition to Egmore and Chetput) that the British East India Company purchased in 1743 to form the port city of Madras.
[Original caption] The Pagoda, Eden Gardens. The Eden Gardens are beautifully laid-out grounds and were for many years the gathering place in the evening of the fashionable society of Calcutta.
There are very few early postcards – besides a handful of missionary ones – of Assam, an area in northeastern India brought under British control in the first half of the 19th century following wars with the then Kingdom of Burma.