One of those postcards that highlights the complex trade relationships between the Raj and Afghanistan, if not Central Asia.
An unusual postcard in its deft juxtaposition of old and new, railway tracks and historic fort. The Bala Hisar Fort is Peshawar's largest landmark derives its name "Bala Hisar" from Persian, meaning elevated or high fort.
[Original caption] A Native Musician in Peshawar, a town and district in the Punjab province near the entrance to the Khyber Pass.
The central bazaar in Peshawar, capital of the North West Frontier Province (NWFP, now KPK) was a common postcard subject, even for distant publishers like H.A. Mirza in Delhi. Murrays Handbook for Travellers in India Burma and Ceylon (1928) wrote:
An annual tradition in Peshawar in the early part of the 20th century and probably well beforehand, Peshwar's nautch women would dance through the streets watched and cheered by thousands of onlookers.
Every city had its female dancers, or "nautch women" and they were often showed with the musicians who played, assisted and sometimes protected and managed them as well.
This early and rare double-view "Greetings from" postcard was made for the Royal Sussex Regiment, then stationed in both Peshawar and (presumably during the winter) in Cherat hillstation. The frames around both images are embossed. K.C.
Muslims assembling for flight to Kabul during the Khilafat Movement.
This rare image, probably taken in the summer of 1920, was taken during the height of the Khilafat Movement against British rule.
This kind of postcard, showing the corpses of "raiders" who were said to have come to settled and cantonment areas in search of loot and were often also called "loosewalas" are found only in significant numbers in what was the former North West