R. Jalbhoy was a major Karachi photographer and postcard publisher at the turn of the century, who could often depict people and parts of the city that fell off the usual tourist or landmark circuit. Note the shoes on the sitters in this studio shot.
A rather grand postcard, with the depth-of-field of a large albumen photograph, of Karachi's oldest colonial structures, dating to 1843, named after General Charles Napier who conquered Sindh that year and became its first Governor.
[Verso] Published specially for the S.J. Co-operative Society, Karachi Sole Agent for this view throughout India
[Original caption] The Empress Market, the principal market of Karachi, is situated on the Preedy Street in Sadar Bazaar.
A unusual advertising postcard for one of Karachi's premiere merchants at the turn of the century. As the commercial directory Seaports of India Ceylon (Allister Macmillan, 1908) put it for the first firm in their "Commercial Karachi" section, "There
An early advertising postcard for the Hall Line, which was bought by the larger Ellerman Lines in 1903 (the firm lasted under this name until 2004). Note how nicely a traditional boat and fisherman populate the foreground, a sailing boat in the
An view of one of Karachi's major arteries. This view by Fred Bremner is probably from 1889 or the early 1890s when he first settled in the city and became one of its earliest photographers.
Known locally as the "Kala Chapra" or "Black Shed," this enormous structure constructed in the late 1920s was considered one of the largest structures in the British Empire.
According to Hobson-Jobson, the word gymkhana "is quite modern, and was unknown 40 years ago. The first use that we can trace is (on the authority of Major John Trotter) at Rūrkī in 1861, when a gymkhana was instituted there.
Nusserwanjee & Co. were one of Karachi's leading firms and earliest postcard publishers. Founded by the Parsi Nusserwanjee R.